Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pizza from what's on hand

Made a pizza today for lunch. Made the crust, made the sauce. Put on it what I had on hand. And it was good! I have been trying to eliminate fast food from our diet, as much as possible in this hectic world. I don't think that we understand how many chemicals we put in our bodies by buying the packaged foods we do. I have made an effort to keep basic ingredients in the house all the time so that when I decide to make something I don't have to run to the store every time. Herbs - so easy to grow and keep on hand. A bottom watering window box and lots of sun and anyone can do it.

Crust: 1 package active dry yeast, 1 tsp. white sugar, 1 Cup warm water. Take these three and mix - let sit 10 minutes.
2.5 Cups bread flour, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt - add these three to the other mixture, mix until smooth, let sit 5 minutes - then roll it out. If your using a pizza stone as I do and highly recommend, sprinkle corn meal liberally on the stone before you put the dough on the stone. If using a pan, lightly grease.

Sauce: I took a 15 oz (I think - the size of a can of vegetables) can of tomato sauce - added a big handful of fresh sweet basil, chopped and a smaller handful of fresh oregano leaves chopped, three minced garlic cloves and pepper and let it simmer the whole time the dough is being prepared - or longer if you can remember to put it on ahead. - you can also season the sauce more but I like what I did - basic and clean.

I had in refrigerator feta cheese, asparagus, Mozzarella, yellow bell pepper. In freezer two Italian sausages and breakfast patty sausage. On counter sun dried tomatoes. Fried sausage, drained it. Pan seared asparagus with olive oil and garlic sea salt. Spread sauce on dough, put the feta cheese as bottom layer then added rest with Mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes on top. Bake 450 oven 20 minutes.

What I would do different next time - I would use that can of black olives I forgot I had in the pantry and I would definitely add onion but I had just used the last one I had for Jambalaya I was making for tonight - but it was still very good.

The end.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pizza recipe...much better all around than delivered pizza or the frozen stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful, MB! I usually try to heat my stone while preparing the rest. It yields a crispier crust that way.

    ReplyDelete