Sunday, July 17, 2011

Alien...Human Beings

After posting the photograph yesterday of Rajiv Thiaga Rajah smiling so beautifully during the naturalization ceremony this past Friday in Pensacola, Florida - I had a dream last night about a visitor to the United States from another country and how grateful he was to have a conversation with me, in my dream. So when I woke up I decided to research in my bible what has been written about aliens, which is the word used to describe immigrants  in the Old Testament version I was reading. I found this following passage:

"When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap* to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings** of your harvest. Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the Lord your God".  Leviticus 19:9-10

I found those words very moving as to the sensitivity required by God for each individual when they go about their business and daily lives. It speaks to me of a lifestyle of charitable awareness. How that translates into national policy, I have not a clue  - on a personal level, I hope to retain the meaning of those words in my life.

*Reap - to cut with a sickle, scythe, or reaping machine
**Gleaning -  to gather grain or other produce left by reapers
(The photograph above was found on the internet and was not created by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment