Friday, July 15, 2011

Sprouts!


I love fresh sprouts on salad, sandwiches, and in stir-fry. It is very easy to make your own sprouts. What you need are the seeds which can be found at health food stores, and a container to grow them in. I use a quart size, large mouth Mason jar with a plastic lid designed with holes to drain liquid from.
First soak your seeds for 6-8 hours. 1 cup seeds equal 5 cups sprouts.
That is a lot of sprouts! Best to keep it to about 1/8 of a cup seeds.

After placing the soaked seeds in the growing container, they MUST be rinsed and drained well 2-3 times a day and need to be in a dark place. I invert my Mason jar at a slight angle inside a dish to allow drainage. I also keep a jar of seeds somewhere I will see them as I work in the kitchen or those poor soaked and sprouting seeds will most likely be forgotten by me. When I see my jar of seeds it reminds me to rinse the ones hidden in the cabinet. Expose the seeds to a few hours of light a day to develop color. To rid the sprouts of the hulls, immerse the sprouts in cool water and let the hulls rise to the surface, then drain. Let your sprouts drain very well before putting in the refrigerator. I put a napkin under them for the first day or so to soak up extra water. Slimy sprouts are not my favorite. The directions on the package of sprouts I just bought at Everman's Co-Op in Pensacola, Florida says to rinse them while you have them in the refrigerator 2-3 times a day. I have NEVER done that and I don't plan on it. I like making the sprouts, they are so crisp when you eat them this fresh, but I don't want to have to think about sprouts all day, know what I mean? The blend I am using now has alfalfa, broccoli, Mung, lentil, and radish. They blend very well together. Try it! Your own little garden, in a jar. Another simple food for a natural lifestyle.

For more information on sprouts and their nutritional benefits, take a look at:
http://www.isga-sprouts.org/nutritio.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment