Wednesday, November 23, 2011

MB's Oyster Dressing



It's the day before Thanksgiving 2011. I just made my Oyster Stuffing and thought that I'd post the recipe since my children love it and maybe someone else might want to give it a try.





1 - 32 ounce container oysters                                    
1 - 14 ounce bag of cornbread stuffing
1 - tablespoons snipped fresh sage
1 - celery stalk diced fine
1 - shallot diced
1/2 - onion
1/2 stick butter - NEVER margarine
6 eggs

Make this the day before and put in a bag with all the air out of it, store in refrigerator until ready to stuff turkey or bake.

Put oysters in colander in bowl you will be mixing ingredients in so the liquid will drain into the bowl. Melt butter in pan, not too high a heat. Add sage, shallot, onion, celery - cook on low heat until vegetables are soft, not mushy. Set aside. Add cornbread to oysters juice in the bowl. When you add the oysters to the cornbread, just pull them apart to size you want. I don't cut them up small because it is better if your an oyster lover to have larger bits in the stuffing. Pulling them apart also helps to make sure there are no shells in the oysters. Add the vegetables and mix. Then add the eggs and mix together until your sure that there are no whole portions of the eggs and that the mixture is very moist. Put in bag and refrigerate. Making this the day before is very important to the taste. I do not add salt or pepper but I am sure that you could. I just don't use much salt and the oysters have some in them. I bake at 350 degrees but I don't know how long really - just till it's done!

I hope you enjoy it. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sage - grown on my windowsill



1 comment:

  1. this looks so delicious...can't find any oysters here, but when i do will give a try...thanks

    ReplyDelete